Sunday, November 28, 2010

Thanksgiving Day...not what we expected...but very thankful

The turkey was brined and ...
refrigerated overnight.
The whole family was here, even though little Hudson had been feeling so badly and running a high fever. The tables were set with care...
Right as I was removing the turkey from the oven, Hudson had a febrile seizure, and we had to call an ambulance to take him to the hospital. It lasted for about 6 minutes...the longest and scariest 6 minutes of my life. For a minute there we weren't sure if he was breathing, so I sent Shawn to fetch my stethoscope from my bag so I could listen to him. Was I ever relieved when I heard that little heart beating and air rushing in and out of his lungs. He was unresponsive after it was over until the ambulance came. Would you believe that God sent one of the paramedics that Shannon went to high school with. She was so relieved to see him--we all were. They started an IV and took him to the hospital where I work. When they started the IV he screamed and he cried all the way to the hospital. We left Mother and Daddy and Shawn and Darris here with Jackson. Joey and I rushed to the hospital and when we walked into his room ,he was still crying. Be still my heart, I have never heard a cry that sounded so good to my grandmother ears.
Here is a picture from Shannon's phone from the emergency room. By then he was beginning to feel much better. Praise the Lord. We didn't get home until late that night, so we reheated everything, and ate our dinner about 9:00P.M. Shawn and Darris had carved the turkey and they all had lunch and then put away all the leftovers. They played with Jackson and kept him occupied all afternoon. They were worn out by the time we got home. Even though it certainly was not what we had planned, we are so thankful that God has blessed us so greatly. After dinner, they just spent the night with us and took Hudson to the doctor for followup the next morning. Jackson stayed at our house and played on Buddy's tractor. He loves that tractor! When Hudson returned from the doctor, he had his first tractor ride with Buddy. He is also a natural tractor boy.

Then he got to sit on the he can't drive it yet, but he thinks he is.
We then found some little elf friends who come around Christmastime and report back to Santa how good children have been. We named them Elvis, Pizie, and Trixie. So Jackson and Hudson, you boys better watch out...Santa Claus is coming to town.

To top it all off, we went to Joey's family get-together last night, and while the kids were roasting marshmellows, Jackson got hit with a flaming marshmellow. It stuck to his sweater...yes still in flames. So my niece's husband put out the fire on his shirt. Can you believe our weekend?
I am for one glad it's over, but again so very thankful everything turned out fine. I hope you all had great Thanksgivings, and God bless you everyone.


Shannon said...

I mean seriously...if they made a movie about us, it would be a comedy. "National Lampoons Thanksgiving Mess" is what they could call it.

I love you Mom and am so thankful we were at your house when everything happened.

Kimmy said...

Oh wow, what a Thanksgiving! Praise God that little Hudson was alright and that He protected your beautiful family!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh my, this sounds like a weekend where the Lord was definitely watching over you, and boy you really needed it. I am so glad everyone is fine. Hugs, marty

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Wow! Your family did have an eventful Thanksgiving! Just glad everyone is ok. It is always so scary when something happens to our little ones.
Have a great week.

racheld said...

Oh, Sheila,

What a scramble of a holiday!! I'm so glad all is well, and I know that was the BEST Thanksgiving dinner you ever tasted, after getting such a quick recovery from that sweet boy.

My very best thoughts and prayers for all the rest of your holiday season to be as uneventful as possible!

Tell Jackson I was in the line of fire of a marshmallow once, flung off the stick by one of my Cub Scouts. The swish through the air put it out, Thank Goodness, for it hit me right in the bun on the top of my head. No damage, but it took a while to get all the sticky out.

I'm so glad his flew LOW on him and didn't hit skin.

Vicki said...

My goodness! I was thinking what a gorgeous table and dining room one minute than praying little Hudson was okay the next. Whew. I hope he continues to do well.

Bonnie@Creative Decorating said...

I wanted to thank you for becoming a follower of my blog and to say may God watch over that sweet little Hudson!! I am so glad that everything turned out okay!