Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Homemade Almond Butter

I have mentioned that healthy fats are...well...healthy for you, just in moderation. Healthy fats are nuts and nut butters, avocadoes, olive oil, coconut oil, seeds, and flax. I learned from http://cleaneatingchelsey.com/ how to make homemade almond butter. I must say is is delicious. Of course, if you prefer, you could use cashews or peanuts instead of almonds.







I buy these huge bags of almonds at Sam's for about $9.00. I would say there is enough to make at least 6 batches of nut butter.

Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Measure out 2 cups of almonds onto an ungreased cookie sheet..






Add 1/4 cup of whole flax seeds. I buy these at the grocery. This bag was $3.29 as you can see.













Roast them for 20 minutes turning them after 10 minutes. My house smells so good. It brings back memories of going to a little shop where they roasted fresh nuts when I was a child. Throw the nuts and flax seeds into the bowl of a food processor and add 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt.






Process on high. You will need to scrape down the sides of the bowl along the way.









It takes about 10 minutes to go from this...





wait for it...








not yet...








Now we're talking...







Spoon into a jar...voila...creamy almond butter.








I hope you will give this one a try.






Healthy dishes,





No comments: